Friday, September 13, 2013

In The Beginning - Part I

I was born to Protestant parents and raised in a loving Christian home. Both my mother and father had been raised in Catholic homes, but it is my understanding that the faith wasn't really ever discussed nor was it a part of their family life, save for Sunday Mass. As a result, my parents grew up resentful towards Catholicism, because they both felt it did nothing for them.

In the years before their marriage, my mother encountered Christ in a real way for the first time through a Protestant Bible study. Shortly after, she met my father, a non-practicing Catholic, and convinced him to join her. He was baptized in her church, a more charismatic branch of Protestant Evangelical Christianity, and began experiencing the life-changing reality of Jesus Christ.

I was born a year into their marriage. Then, less than two years later, I was joined by my sister. Together, we attended a private Christian school all throughout our elementary years. I do not recall if it was non-denominational, or if it had a denomination, but I do remember the school being very much into the idea that salvation is a one time deal, and that once you finish praying the sinner's prayer, you are saved forever from the fires of hell irregardless of how you chose to live your life. That didn't sit well with me, even as a young child.

We attended a Baptist church every Sunday, even though my parents made sure to tell us that we had no denomination, we were simply Christians. My favorite part of the service was the singing. The church's youth ministry always made sure to have the latest worship songs playing, along with the best music.

When I was around 7 years old, my mom tells me that I made the official decision to invite Jesus into my heart. I don't remember it, but she told me that we prayed a prayer together right before bed and then from that moment on, I became a Christian.

I don't recall having a deeply intimate relationship with the Lord during my early years. I don't even remember if I prayed on a regular basis. But I always believed in God, and strove to be a good person, obedient to my parents, and kind to others.

My childhood was a happy one for the most part. Although I was painfully shy and suffered from constant anxiety which manifested itself in many different stomach problems, I never let any of that lead me to despair. I found refuge in books, and in having a few close friends. I was, and still am, a happy introvert.

In the year prior to my entrance into High School, my parents made the decision to remove my sister and I from the Christian school we had grown to know and love, and into a local public school. To say the change was a shock would be an understatement. It was like going from one world to another.

Suddenly, I was surrounded by the reality of sin. Talk of using drugs and having sex was an everyday occurrence. My sheltered world slowly came to an end. Although I remained a good girl, it was difficult not to be influenced by my peers. God slowly came to mean less and less, while appearance and sex appeal was all that mattered to me. I became addicted to male attention, despite being too shy to even talk to a boy. I was consumed by the worldly culture so prevalent in our schools today, and I didn't see a problem with it.

But that was all to change soon, thanks to the Lord's intervention...

No comments:

Post a Comment