Friday, September 20, 2013

Discovering the Rosary

Protestants converting to the Catholic faith are often known to list Marian doctrine as one of the most difficult aspects of Catholicism to understand and accept. I know such is the case for me. Although I have come to have a deeper appreciation for Our Lady and her role, I still have much to learn, and there are forms of devotion that I continue to find foreign.

But for me, learning about the rosary, and then beginning to include it as part of my daily prayer has proven to be a great blessing.

I grew up with the notion that the rosary was simply a mindless repetition of Hail Marys addressed to the Virgin Mary as if she were a goddess. So, for the life of me, I couldn't comprehend why anyone with even the most limited understanding of Scripture would find it okay to accept this devotion.

It wasn't until I began my own in depth exploration of Catholicism that I came to realize that the rosary is actually a meditative, gospel-centered prayer, focused on the life of Jesus and Mary. Each decade is recited while meditating on a specific biblical event, such as the crucifixion, or the nativity. Repeating the phrase, "Hail Mary, full of grace..." serves to quiet your mind and block out distractions so that you can better focus on each gospel event. How very beautiful!

Learning this brought about a much greater appreciation for the rosary than I ever thought possible. Very soon, I began my own practice of reciting a decade or more each day with rosary beads I received for free.

But the first time I ever picked up the rosary, I decided to offer up an intention I knew was not very likely to come about, but because I had read that Our Lady is known to answer seemingly impossible intentions to those who have just begun this special devotion, I knew it couldn't hurt. Mind you, I was a bit skeptical, and even let her know this. I also asked the Lord to please let me know if I was offending Him by asking Mary for something.

A few days passed without a response. The days turned into weeks, and still I heard nothing. Yet I continued to pray the rosary whenever time allowed. One day, it occurred to me that many weeks had passed since I offered up my special request, and still there was no answer. I was disappointed, but decided not to lose hope just yet.

Then, the very next day, I received the most astonishing answer to my request. Not only did what I asked for come to pass, but it came to pass in abundance! That entire day was filled with rejoicing for me. My heart was practically leaping with joy, and I was shocked to realize that Our Lady had indeed heard. I spent the day praising the Lord and expressing my deepest gratitude.

The power of the rosary is real, and I am so grateful for having discovered it very early on in my journey.

Hearing the plethora of miracles that have been associated with this prayer devotion only serves to strengthen my commitment to its recitation, particularly for the conversion of my husband. I know Our Lady only wants to bring us closer to her Son, and that is what I most desire for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment