Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Catholic Book Post

A glimpse at my growing library

I recently watched a conversion story on Marcus Grodi's The Journey Home program aired by EWTN. The woman telling her story mentioned something that hadn't occurred to me before but that I found to be very true. She said that God will sometimes speak to us via our passion. For example, a musician might find God through an especially moving piece of music. Likewise, an English major, or a bibliophile might find God through a book.

In my case, it was both. Although I already had a deep faith in the Creator of the Universe, I didn't know where the fullness of God's truth lay. Which religion? Which sect? Is there even absolute truth?

Audrey Assad's song, For Love of You, where she sings about the Sacred Heart of Jesus sparked my exploration into Catholicism. Then, it was through reading books such as Scott Hahn's Rome Sweet Home, and Devin Rose's If Protestantism is True that ultimately confirmed what my heart had known all along.

I compiled a short list of the books that have been most helpful in my journey to the Church. There are many more that I could list, but for now, I think these will do. Needless to say, I still have a lot to read! The beauty of Catholicism is inexhaustible and it would take several lifetimes to explore and learn everything this rich tradition has to offer.


  • How Firm a Foundation and Pillar & Bulwark by Marcus Grodi
  • The Crucified Rabbi by Taylor R. Marshall
  • Home at Last edited by Rosalind Moss
  • If Protestantism is True by Devin Rose
  • Heaven's Song by Christopher West
  • Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn
  • Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn
  • The Rosary: Keeping Company With Jesus and Mary by Karen Edmisten

Still to be read, or currently being read are the following:

  • On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard
  • Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
  • Surprised by Truth by Patrick Madrid
  • By What Authority? by Mark Shea
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David Currie
  • Any Friend of God's is a Friend of Mine by Patrick Madrid
  • Where is That in the Bible? by Patrick Madrid

Book recommendations are welcome!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not Catholic (or Christian!) but I am drawn to the Catholic church and have been learning more and more through blogs and books! I can't wait to continue reading about your journey, and especially RCIA. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, I'd love to hear what Catholic blogs you're reading! Conversion Diary is great, I wish Jen would update more often! If you aren't already reading Camp Patton and Catholic All Year, I highly recommend!

    (Sorry for the multiple posts... I promise I'm not a creepy internet stalker :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment! I actually do follow the blogs you mention. Do you mind if I ask how you found my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked over from Filling My Prayer Closet. Sorry for the intrusion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem! Sorry, I seem to forget that I actually have readers ;) Welcome!

    ReplyDelete