Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Wheels Start Turning

Last Sunday, I walked into my local parish for an interview with the RCIA staff. It went wonderfully!

I walked into the meeting room feeling slightly apprehensive. This was only my third time at the parish, after all! I didn't know what to expect, nor did I know if I would be able to find the man who had answered my inquiries over the phone. But I had nothing to fear, because the moment I walked into the building, I was immediately greeted by a volunteer for RCIA. It seems they all knew to expect me!

I felt very warmly welcome, and was told to help myself to the table of pastries and coffee they had set out. Because I arrived slightly early, I had a few minutes to spare before my interview. During that time, a few people approached me and made small talk. Being the shy introvert that I am, I felt a bit exposed as we all stood around waiting for the RCIA session to begin. I started to wish that my husband and son had come along. My husband always knows what to say!

Soon, my interviewers approached me, saying it was time for us to go into another room so that we could talk privately. Once seated and comfortable, they asked me to tell them about my faith journey, something that I was more than happy to do. Being so young, they didn't quite expect me to tell them everything that I did - how my searching began at a time when most teenagers are out partying and rebelling against their parents and society, and how I looked at various religions before finally returning to the truth of Christianity. But I believe God's grace spared me from much and led me to His truth despite my youth.

The interview lasted for about an hour, in which time my interviewers discussed my various options and the two basic paths to conversion, based on whether a potential convert is baptized or not. In my case, because I am baptized, the process will be much quicker. I was surprised to know that the earliest I could enter into full communion with the Church is at the very beginning of this coming year! That's about three months from now!

I was also excited to learn that my husband and son are welcome to join me during this process, even if just to be by my side. I know that at this point, my husband is not open to the idea of God, let alone religion, but I believe with much prayer and sacrifice, he will come around. It could take five years, or fifty years, but I am not giving up on him!

The next step is called pre-catechumenate, which is a short period of inquiry before one decides which path to take next. I am very happy, and super thrilled to be one step closer to becoming a Catholic.

Please pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment